Thursday, May 22, 2008

Out of the frying pan. . .

It seems that Joe has a tumor in his spine and holes in his pelvis bones, both of which are caused by the lymphoma. The tumor in his spine is causing him huge amounts of pain, so he's drugged up all the time making it pretty hard to carry on a conversation with him! He's started falling down again, so he has a huge knot on his head, which is apparently not as hard as I thought. His oncologist says he needs more extreme treatment which can't be done where he is, so they are transferring him to Baylor as soon as possible. I don't know which Baylor, but I assume the one in Dallas. Once he is there, they are going to start giving him the drug that increases his cell production. They will then start sucking out his stem cells and freezing them until they have enough to work with. Then they will give him some super hard core chemo, and shoot the stem cells back in, but I'm not really up on all this so I may not really understand what's going to happen. If you'd like to visit Joe before you have to drive to downtown Dallas and pay for parking, I would suggest getting up there today.

No comments: