Tuesday, February 26, 2008

MRI day

You might remember that the left side of Joe's face has lost mobility. Well, over the weekend this spread at an alarming rate. He lost a lot of the use of his arms (he can't raise them up at all), and his hands, he keeps dropping things, and today he started falling down almost every time he got up. The oncologist is extremely distressed and ordered a full set of MRI's for Joe. Since the hospital doesn't have an MRI large enough to accommodate Joe's large and manly shoulders, they had to transport him via ambulance to a facility in Flower Mound. He was there for at least 4 hours get all kinds of MRI's done, before being taken back to his trusty room. The most likely problem is that cancer cells have bunched around the nerves near the brain stem. They tend to start at the top and drift down, which is why it started with his face and ended with his legs. If that is the case, they will probably be adding radiation to his treatment regimen.

On the plus side, Joe slept better last night than he has in weeks. The oncologists claims that he was up all night worrying, and he's not the only one that's missing sleep, so I guess it's good that Joe's sleeping! I spent the night at the hospital last night because Joe really can't take care of himself. If any of his REALLY close friends would like to volunteer to take a night (or day for that matter), please let us know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to leave a note for you Margie...
I can't imagine how hard this must all be for you and your family, my heart truly goes out to you. The illness itself but coupled with the added exhaustion of such a long hospital stay, the anxiety of the unknown, and heartache of watching your brother suffer. My prayers are with you. Know that I love Joe and wish I could do more to help. But I will continue to pray for your entire family. Thank you so much for continuing to keep me/us updated. God Bless!

Heather Posey

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
My roomie (jennifer) and I would gladly spend some time with Joe on weekend if needed (day or night). Just let us know...my cell is 368-8461.

Hope days are getting better. Anything we can do to help please let us know, we live right around the corner from hospital and food runs are our specialty.

Kristi Wolfe