Wednesday, February 27, 2008

answers!

Although the MRI didn't show anything, Joe was visited by a neurologist today who has diagnosed his paralysis problems and it's good news! The paralysis and weakness in his body is caused by something called Acute Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (try saying that 10 times fast!) or AIDP. It was probably brought on by his staff infection, and it is fully treatable. He will mostly likely be treated and left with few to no lasting effects. The neurologist just needed to confer with the oncologist to see if the treatment could be administered with chemo. But, according to my research, many patients begin a slow recovery (at least 10 weeks) on their own after peak paralysis about 4 weeks after onset. I would much rather him receive treatment, but it's nice to know that it's not an emergency.

The facial paralysis is caused by Bell Palsy, which is nerve damage. It is kind of like a really mild stroke, and it repairs itself and is not permanent. It usually occurs in people with compromised immune systems. It could take anywhere between 2 weeks and 18 months to fully repair it's self, but how awesome is it that neither one of these problems is a huge deal?!? I'm happier today than I've been in a while! Joe does have some neuropathy in his fingers that MAY be permanent, but that is much more acceptable than being a quadriplegic, as far as I'm concerned.

The oncologist has ordered physical therapy, and Joe may or may not be starting radiation soon, since it's yet to be decided. Joe has not been throwing up at all lately and while he's frustrated that he can't do anything for himself now, he seems to be keeping his spirits up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't be happier for you all. What a relief and wonderful news. Ahh, how things change...who would have thought 2 months ago that this type of news would bring you excitement. Hang in there Joe. I hope to be back in the States the beginning of April (I'm sure you'll have kicked this cancer's ass completely by then:) and I look forward to seeing you. Until then, stay strong! My mom just finished her radiation and starts back on chemo tomorrow. She went through 8 rounds of chemo (two different types), then 20 rounds of radiation and now on to her 3rd type of chemo which she will take every three weeks for a year. She was diagnosed in August with stage 4 breast cancer and it’s been a tough road but she's doing great and I know she will beat it and so will you. My two favorite cancer survivors!

Heather

Anonymous said...

I had Bell Palsy about 5 years ago, it took around 3 weeks for me to recover, i didnt feel sick or anything, just that it's annoying and embarrassing ( I had to tape one of my eye lids at night cause it won't shut) to heal, u don't have to do anything, I think the nerves just re connects themselves, after the 3 weeks, my face works fine, but I wonder if the Bell Palsy effect my beauty in any way, cause I thought I looked better before LOL

Anonymous said...

Yip! Yip! Hooray! I am excited about the news and impressed that a neuro could overlook all else that is going on and give a correct diagnosis. Maybe I need to set up an appointment with him!
Anyway, now you can kick back and just give the cancer its due, without having to worry unnecessarily. It's a pain, but just relax, Joe, and let others take care of you right now.
Take it easy and stay positive. Uncle Daniel will perfect you an automatic eye closure device if need be. Uncle Daniel says he can create an electronic gizmo that blinks the one eye when the other does.
You'll probably be well before he gets it working!
Love,

Aunt Robin

Created by Sarah Robbins said...

Hey. I just found out about Joey and I am so sorry that you have to go through this. We had to go through a crummy time like this with my sister in law. We are definately keeping you in our prayers. I am so glad you have this blog so I can get back in touch. It's been a long time and I miss hanging out with the old crowd. I know you needed platelets donated. Let me know if that is still the case.
Sarah Nielsen Robbins